Monday, November 13, 2006

And she looks like Blossom!

(Other post titles considered: "What's your favorite color? Badd." and a Gin Blossoms quote I can't recall right now.)
Also, an apology for those of you who read this that I also talk to on a somewhat regular basis. I've complained about this before; I tend to repeat myself, especially when fashion is involved. I included the potential titles because I think the fact that I heard both "I Wanna Sex You Up" and "Hey Jealousy" this morning on the radio is pertinent to my whole point. Plus, it's funny. Especially when you remember that my car was a rental car before becoming my Junior and, as such, is set up for satellite radio. This means some stations give me information about what song is playing.* This always seems totally futuristic and luxurious to me, because I am a moron and a dork. But not nearly as dorky as "I Wanna Sex You Up...Color Me Badd" looked scrolling across my car stereo earlier today. When I got to work, I stomped into Marissa's office and asked her what year it was.
I bring all this up because of leggings. Look, I like them, too. I like hippie Johnny--unh, leggings. It's just that, when I liked them the first time, when I actually wore them, I was in junior high. And part of growing out of junior high and creating your own style is acknowledging how craptastic and ricockulous your style choices were. Seriously--now matter how old you are, take a sec to think back to how you dressed at 11-13. You were probably obsessed with looking like the cool girls and/or boys, right? No matter how ridiculous those leather-fronted jeans looked on you, right? See, I'm assuming that, if you're reading PoBaL here, you were a goober in junior high, too. It's okay. We all were. No one's got their shit together 6-8 grade. It's sort of the point.
So why are all these girls who are my age going back to fashions that were popular when we were all at our most gawky? It's just weird, and I won't do it. Although I have been thinking about ratty denim cutoffs and black tights recently...but with what shoes?
And speaking of junior high fashion, I feel the need to tell everyone that I feel like I'm dressed like Claudia Kishi today. I'm wearing that map skirt I made (I still feel like Nina Garcia's going to jump out of a bush and lambast me for construction issues and taste levels every damn time I wear this), black tights, my new open-toe, kelly green** wedge-y flats, a black vneck sweater (holey, because it's from J Crew and I've worn it more than once), and (here comes the Claudia) a small blue plastic motorcycle as a necklace. Isn't that just dibbly distant and arctic, or whatever the hell Mallory would have called it in Chapter 2?
In other fashion news, Kyrie O'Connor, who normally is one of my least favorite "Wait Wait Don't Tell Me" panelists, when asked "What will President Bush and the Democrats find to agree on?" at the end of the show, said, "They'll all agree that gauchos are not flattering on anyone." Kyrie, I think I love you.
*And yet, my car can't figure out time zone/daylight savings switches on its own, which my phone totally can do. Step up, Junior!
**I'm so excited: I've been after kelly green shoes for 3 years now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

construction, taste issues... whatevs. the real question, as we all know, is DOES IT LOOK EXPENSIVE?

Anonymous said...

ooooooo, you said leather fronted pants!!! i had a pair of leather fronted shorts in lilac, with a white mesh off the shoulder shirt and a white tank top underneath...there is nothing like field trips to kennywood park in middle school!!!
and i think i'd rather have nina garcia challenge my taste level than have michael kors make one of those off the wall ridiculous comments of his!