Friday, April 22, 2005

kiss and ride on the CTA

If you were where I am right now, you would be watching me do a dance, the "I just registered for ALA" dance.
Therefore, I will be in Chicago June 24-28--including my birthday! (the 27th) Anyone know of any good shows going on then? Anyone want to join me in a massive H&M shopping spree? Ooo, Chicago has a CB2 as well!
I know, I know: there for work. And I'm excited about that shit too! Francesca Lia Block got a fucking LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT award, and I'm going to the luncheon. Hell's ya. And on my birthday? David Sedaris is the guest speaker at a dinner. Plus, anyone who knows me knows that I fully plan on pulling the good ol' "It's my birfday" to try and get extra free shit.
If there's somehow someone reading this who doesn't know me (and why are you reading about my lame ass, anyway?), if you're going to be there, keep an eye out for the Enid Coleslaw-looking overly hyper girl in a t shirt with no collar or sleeves, tight jeans, and either sequin shoes or chucks rocking a Deery Lou tote.
But the real question is, will Brent Hartinger be there? Because, while I love the man and his books (or, at least, the man as I know him through his books and his books), I worry that I will make a huge ass of myself. An even bigger one than usual. I worry that I will tell him that, when I read the description of his man's recent novel, I did not think, hmm, Johnny Appleseed as a gay man: interesting. Instead, I immediately thought, "Everyone knows Custer died at Little Big Horn. What my book presurposes is, what if he didn't?"
I don't know if it's written in kind of an obsolete vernacular or not.
I'm going to take this off now.
I wrote a hit play!
It's so twenty 'til 5 on a Friday. My plans tomorrow are as follows: go to mall for short sleeved cardigan and perhaps prettiness for Lara's graduation, pick up free comics at comic book store, most likely spending $$ as well (why did no one tell me about the Serenity comic!? I hate you all), and, most importantly, sitting on my balcony and reading Sunshine, a vampire novel.
Back on the ALA tip, here's a list of some other authors I might just have to squeal at: Lauren Child, Mo Willems, Holly Black, Nick Hornby, Susan Juby, Tanuja Desai Hidier, Gordon Korman, Rachel Cohn. And a million more.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do say hello if you see me!

Anonymous said...

Wow, LATE comment, but thanks for the plug. We met once before, right?

Is your book (about Custer) a real one, or are you just joshing?

Brent Hartinger
brentsbrain@harbornet.com

PoBaL said...

I realized I never commented back to this--I did, indeed meet Holly Black (got an ARC of Valiant signed too, yay). And that Custer book is a Royal Tennenbaums reference; it's Eli Cash's breakthrough novel.