Monday, April 04, 2005

He spent all the reward money hiring Van Halen to play at his birthday party.

I was thinking this morning about book characters, and what they would be like as adults. Don’t ask me why, I think it was a combination of the current issue of VOYA, which has an article about fanfic, Francesca Lia Block’s new Weetzie Bat book, where Weetzie is in her 40s and questioning her marriage (I can’t wait to read this!), and Blake Nelson’s Rock Star, Superstar, which popped into my head for some reason and has its main characters playing shows with Thriftstore Apocalypse (band in his earlier novel, Girl, which was a HUGE influence on me). So here’s some of what I came up with. Feel free to argue, come up with your own, and/or tell me how brilliantly spot-on I am. I'm going to do a character a day, so I don't get overwhelmed with my own geekery.

The Babysitter’s Club
These are still being written, I think, but the characters are still the same age. Obviously, this game isn’t as fun with someone like Adrian Mole.

Janice: Janice has her PhD in some very science-y thing and is doing Important Research somewhere like Wisconsin-Madison. Stem cells or brain trauma or something. She and Claudia hadn’t talked for awhile, but then an acquaintance mentioned how science people tend to think they’ve got the best, hardest kind of smart and how irritating that can be for the rest of us. Janice called Claudia that night to apologize, and they’ve been a lot closer. She’s the only person Claudia dresses for free. She’s engaged to the guy who used to be her lab’s receptionist temp, who is one of those “creative types”, but not in the Corky kind of way.
Which leads one to wonder, why have I thought so much about Janice when she was a minor and annoying character?

Next time: Claudia.

3 comments:

Melissatrons said...

this is just fantastic. Thanks.

Becki said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Becki said...

I had to remove the name correction because I am an idiot. But let me reiterate how much I enjoy your work here.