***
The book:
I haven't finished this book yet, but I trust it enough to not do something lame and/or downright crappy. I can usually see that sort of thing coming, which is why I stopped reading The Rise and Fall of a 10th Grade Social Climber, because I could feel it getting all Harriet the Spy on me, and I hated when Harriet's friends find her spy notebook. Which is why Li'l Jessy stopped reading that book, oh so long ago.
To get back on subject (I know, I know--why start now? It's like changing the whole blog), here's what you need to know about Donorboy, which also serves as why you should read it, in a conveniently numbered list:
- "...see now when they ask what's hard about having two moms, probably the hardest thing is that when something is really really gay, like a grief journal, you can't say it's really gay, because that's like dissing my mom, who's dead..." This is on the 2nd page, people.
- Rosalind's English teacher is Mr. Westerberg, and just when you've decided it isn't a Paul reference, her friend's mom is Ms. Cervenka.
- It's epistolary, and journals, and IMs, and such. I hate when form used as a crutch for a novel that should never have been, but in the hands of a good writer, it adds so much. Like my future Jewish husband's second novel, for example.
- Sean emails his friend about Ros sneaking out, and the email subject line is "Party all the time".
- Sean is 35, Ros is 14, and the author captures so well that thing when a pop culture obsessed person is forced to interact with someone too young for all their references.
- It's funny, it's sad, it's awesome.
- Just read the damn book.
***
Another book I tried to read recently is
Cecil Castellucci). I was really looking forward to this one, seemed right up my alley, snarky nerdy girl, etc etc, but Egg is way too perfectionist for me. I just can't stand the kids who need to be the valedictorian, have the top grades, get nasty to any newcomer competition, and all that. So I went back to the Dark Tower, which I'm done with now, hence Sean and Ros.
5 comments:
you didn't tell me about the paul and exene references!
t.
I don't think I had gotten to them yet when I talked to you about it.
it seems to me sometimes like only young adults read your blog...
-K
everytime i hear the phrase "young adult" i think of ben stiller singing "i'm a young adult, and i'm in love" at the end of each "episode" of the 90210/Melrose/Heights spoof on the ben stiller show
by the way, that last one was by me, and i'm listening to the donnas cover of "dancing with myself" from mean girls and thinking of pumping our fists at 80s night...
ah, lou.
t.
Post a Comment