Anderson has written 3 other YA books, and I've read 2 of them. I HATED Catalyst, for a bunch of reasons I don't remember any more. The main character was too selfish and whiny, I think. And not just normal selfish and whiny. Part of it, too, was that I've always always disliked perfectionists. You know, the kids who cry if they don't get a 4.0. The valedictorians who go nuts. This girl only applies to, Harvard, I think, and then I believe the readers are supposed to feel sympathetic when she doesn't get in and is therefore screwed. Of course, I only applied to one school as well, but it was a fairly easy school to get into, and I was a year younger than normal, and the tuition remission and all that. There's a huge difference between only applying to Pitt and only applying to Big Fancy Ivy. Also, I'm sick of books where there's a supporting character who's a poor kid with all these problems but the main character finds that person's heart of gold and learns something, and that's pretty much what I got out of Catalyst.
--Work related interruption: I may have to throw those 2 kids out. It's too nice out for them to be that stircrazy inside. Go run around outside, dammit!--
Fever 1793, or some such year, I haven't read, but I used to confuse it with Running Out of Time by Haddix, which I have read, and which is great, and is the book that people have accused Shamalan of ripping off with The Village. I don't think he did, any more than EdTV (that was the name of that movie, right? Matthew McCaughnahy, who I need to stop bringing up in my blog?) ripped off The Truman Show. The central idea both had can be done so many ways.
Then there's Speak, which is really good and powerful. It's about a 9th grade girl who, right before school started, went to a party and got raped by a big popular upperclassman. She stops speaking (hence the title). It's something that could be so heavyhanded and pre--
I wrote this whole huge thing and was on a roll and accidentally clicked "recover post", leading me to lose over half my goddamn post, so, suffice to say, Prom's a good, funny book for lots of reasons that are now lost to the stupid fucking internet.
Hate.
4 comments:
What age level reads YA? Proms are for 17-18 yo, and it would seem to me they would be into more difficult themes.
YA is usually thought of as 12-18, with fuzzy edges. I'm not sure what you mean by the difficult themes part. One of the things I found most interesting about the book, and really loved about it, is that it did touch on a lot of growing-up types of themes, and better than most books I've read.
YA is usually thought of as 12-18, with fuzzy edges. I'm not sure what you mean by the difficult themes part. One of the things I found most interesting about the book, and really loved about it, is that it did touch on a lot of growing-up types of themes, and better than most books I've read.
I'm with you, book for book, regarding LHA. I also hatedhatedhated Catalyst because the narrator was so whiny and annoying. And I haven't read Fever 17blahblah, either.
Prom was such a nice break.
Post a Comment