Brave New Girl being returned last Thursday must have been some kind of omen, since I wound up seeing the Pixies Saturday night. And they were amazing. I can't say the same for the Datsuns (the opening act) however, since they just about embodied every criticism I've ever slung at the Strokes, but even more so. And from New Zealand to boot, so they really should have know better. Quick! Think of a rock star from New Zealand that isn't Dean Wareham. Does Dean even count?
Speaking of Dean (in the round-about, that cat that Cindy and Tiff used to see on walks that they named Dean kind of way), I've picked out my choices from the bookmobile annex kittens. I'm naming one Legs and the little black one will be Johnny. They're very cute, and on December 3 I can take them home. So I should probably clean before then, and get in the habit of closing my closet door.
The drive to Chicago was mostly notable because I got to see this giant cross in the middle of Illinois. Huge! I like when undemonstrative Midwesterners do things like Cubans, or Brazilians. The drive back, the parts where I was awake, mostly stick in my mind because there wasn't much in the way of electric lights, so we could see lots of stars. Although, despite having sat through a planetarium show only 36 hours before, I could still only positively ID Orion and Sirius. Shane seemed less interested in the stars, but then, he was driving. Just sleepy, or less of a science nerd? Fellow science nerds: apparently we're in for some good meteor showers round about the second week of December. I wonder where I could see them from here?
Reciprocal: Melissa is super great. She and her friends made for a great Friday night, if one that didn't involve any of the errands I still need to run. Because who wants to run errands on Friday night? Learned the lesson that Jameson one weekend and Black Velvet whiskey (in the O! so classy plastic fifth bottle) the next do not "balance each other out". Why do I insist on buying alcohol for camp? I never let people I'm with by food based on camp. Well, except for candy.
There are 6 books staring at me on the desk that I have to write booktalks for. I should get on that.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment