OK, so I was just taking this quiz, mostly as a joke, because I know I don't have a religion, pretty much by choice. Quiz tells me that my belief is Unitarian, which only furthers the argument that Unitarianism isn't really a religion. I guess what I don't understand about Unitarianism is that all it seems to be is a community gathering to talk about faith. And isn't it sad that something like that has to pretend it's a church? It's like the people who have to watch Oprah for book discussions because the people in their lives don't talk about books on a regular basis, or their community has been so corroded that there really is no community anymore.
This was one of the nice things about the long voter lines. Even though I did have my nose stuck in a book (hey, I finally got through the damned thing), there was a definite sense of a community getting together and doing something. And that's getting harder and harder to come by, even in a midwestern small town. Actually, I think it's even worse in small towns, because everyone drives everywhere. I don't have a rapport with the people who wait at the bus stop with me, or the woman on her porch that I pass to buy groceries, etc etc. I miss that.
Speaking of the small town I've found myself in, it's come to my attention that there are people reading this thing aside from my friends who have owned up to reading my ramblings. Please just have the sense to remember that some things are kind of personal, and to not start any rumors based on anything here. Thanks.
Wednesday, November 10, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Hey, Jess...its Jim In GA...
I just took the quiz and was told that I am a Unitarian, too. Which I'm not. I'm an atheist. I think its confusing when, as a multiple choice, they give you this in a single line:
"No God or supreme force. Or not sure. Or not important."
Knowing that there is no God is a LOT different than just being unsure. Equating them is just plain wrong. Its as if the website doesn't even want to consider the fact that someone doesn't feel bound by some invisible superman who lives in outer space. And calling someone a "Nontheist" (which was #2 on my list) is not the same as calling them an Atheist.
Jess, might I suggest a book? Its called THE END OF FAITH, and its by Sam Harris. It just came out, and its a eye-opener. Its basically a call to the human race to put our myths and legends away and begin acting rationally. Check it out.
Jessy, if you're interested, there is a Unitarian Universalist church in Evansville, on Morgan Ave, and they have services at 10am on Sundays. It's chock full of librarians, BTW.
Post a Comment