Monday, September 11, 2006

More than a feeling.

Billboard September 2
  • The advertisement cover is for the VMAs, which I didn't watch this year.
  • I think my parents were actually here then.
  • So, I saw Hollywoodland last night, and I'm ready to start making some Oscar predictions.
  • Diane Lane will be nominated, because Diane Lane is nominated for an Oscar any time she leaves her house.
  • Affleck may be nominated, too. Depends on how they split the Leo DiCaprio/Marky Mark lead/supporting actor for Scorsese's new movie.
  • The Academy really likes to snub Marty, but they seem to want to have DiCaprio's children, so it's a tough call on nominations.
  • Won't win, though.
  • Depending on how the midterm election goes and what the cultural climate is this January, I think this is Forest Whitacker's year for an Oscar, for playing Idi Amin.
  • Well, we'll see. My predictions are usually the more spot-on the closer I make them to the winner's announcement, as anyone who slogged through all my Oscar blogging last time can attest to.
  • I can't decide, but I think I like that new Killers single.
  • "When You Were Young"
  • It's a weird mess of things and influences, and I like that.
  • Weird messes, that is.
  • God, Jet sucks.
  • They're just boring.
  • Oh, I love the part in the Killers song about the Devil's water.
  • Ridiculous!
  • (I'm listening to the song right now, in case you were wondering why I keep bringing it up.)
  • Hey! The Blue Man Group!
  • ha
  • I took the third season of Arrested Development home this weekend and now I'm sad because there's no more new Arrested Development for me to watch.
  • There's a new Primal Scream record?
  • I know it's ridiculous, but I really love Hot Fuss. It's such a fun record.
  • Ever notice how MTV celebrates every damn birthday it can? I mean, it just doesn't seem like that long ago when I sat through all their 20th birthday crap.
  • Plus, this is the 25the for the channel; you know in a couple years we'll be dealing with the 25th anniversary of the VMAs.
  • No one toots their own horn like MTV...
  • Dear god, they've published a picture of that stupid Britney Spears/Madonna kiss.
  • If I really wanted to see bad fake lesbianing designed to make the boys hot, I'd still be going to Saturday night 80s night.
  • The singers/frontspeople for Keane and the Darkness are both in rehab.
  • There's a really interesting super-group in there somewhere.
  • Right now I'm listening to the Cold War Kids. It's pretty okay so far.
  • Michel Gondry's going to be directing a Beck video.
  • I miss old, scruffy, cohosting 120 Minutes with Thurston, setting his acoustic on fire in someone's backyard Beck.
  • He's allowed to grow and change, but I'm allowed to prefer One Foot in the Grave.
  • Even though I really secretly can't stand the local bar here, I have to love that "Satan Gave Me a Taco" is on their jukebox.
  • Ricky Martin's doing an Unplugged.
  • I didn't know that show was still even in existence.
  • It's like the elusive Elvis Costello Storytellers, which I used to see commercials for all the damn time but I never actually got to see.
  • 6 question is with Trey Anastasio.
  • urk
  • Hellogoodbye sound like something I would hear on WPTS while I was driving to drop off my Stanley Kubrick final paper.
  • Which is kind of pretty awesome, if you're into that kind of hard-core nostalgia for 6-7 years ago.
  • "This American Life" is going to have a show on Showtime next year.
  • Must. Make. Friends. With. People. Who. Have. Showtime.

3 comments:

stacey said...

My roommates and I sat around not too long ago and tried to think of at least three shows currently on MTV that aren't reality-ish shows.

TRL
Direct Effect
?

Your turn. You get bonus points if you can think of 4...

cara said...

I think the last time I watched the VMAs was with you. And Axl. Oh, Axl.

Tiff said...

i have two harry and the potters cds. who wants to touch me? i said, who wants to fucking touch me?