I've got 3 songs here with distinct memories/associations. I'm going to tell you what they are and we'll all be entertained.
Then you're going to take these 2 and add one song and give some stories about them on your blog thing. We'll all be entertained some more.
This'll be fun, I swear.
- Common People--Pulp
Not technically 80s, and yet still the most popular song at Pittsburgh 80s Night.
Also the song I tend to speed the most on if it shows up while I'm driving. - The Greatest Love of All--Whitney Houston
I wish this song only reminded me of Say Anything, but this is the song we sang at my 6th grade graduation. I was disappointed because the year before, the graduating class sang that New Kids on the Block song with the video of them singing on stools in front of a sky background. What was the name of that? I think it was maybe on the Christmas album.
When my dad took pictures at my high school graduation, it was on the same roll of film from the 6th grade one. - Centerfold--J. Geils Band
Aaaah, Pop-Up Video, who told me about the singer rooming with David Lynch. What an amazing show. And quite a board game as well, especially a drinking game.
A drinking game I played with, among other people, Cindy, who once thrifted a kids game involving throwing things into a green plastic toilet. She tried to turn that into a drinking game as well. I also remember Cindy finding: the Sweet Valley High game, a Ghostwriter game (not to be confused with the Ghostwriter drinking game Tiff and I made up), and this game of cards, some with boys on them and others with personality issues, and you were supposed to determine which issue you would ignore for which boy. Or something. Except the guys were all ugly, in that particularly 80s "hot" way.
And then we changed the issue cards to say ridiculous things.
What I really think about when I hear "Centerfold", though, is the Nothing Painted Blue cover of it, which was on like every mixtape me or Tiff made the summer 2000. Or maybe we just always listened to a very small number of tapes in Midge.
She had never listened to the 45 that came with Monte Carlo Method and commented on the song one day. I think I said something like, dude, don't you have this too?
But I don't remember if I was calling people "dude" then or not. Probably pulled out the "go back to Russia" I was digging into the ground then, though.
And while we've got the Summer 2000 going, I could go into my James-from-Twin Peaks obsession, but I'll spare everyone.
2 comments:
just youuuuuu and I-hiiiiiiii togetherrrrrr foreverrrr in loooooove
I would contest part of #1: I'd say the most popular song at 80s night was consistently Dancin' With Myself, especially once you factor in the fist-pumping.
"This one's for the children... the children of the world!" God love New Kids.
Post a Comment