The Babyboomer Mystique OK, fine, we give. You guys Changed the World and are better than everyone else. We've fully bought into the spin (who is it spinning these stories, anyway?); can we go back to trying to make a subsistence wage while not living with our parents, finding a meaningful job, and protesting our own unjust war without the comparisons, please? And speaking of that unjust war...
Jovial Prejudice I would like for people to stop assuming I think the same as them. How hypocritical is it of "conservative" people to simultaneously whine about their values being attacked by everyone and assume everyone shares their values?
This Town Sucks Is it lame and boring and no one does anything and when someone does try to start something (cough stitch'n'bitch cough) no one shows up? Yes.
Am I sick and fucking tired of having this conversation? Hell yes.
And just a tip, 'cause I guess I've lived in more cities than your average 26yrold: those narrow minded unhappy people you work with? They live everywhere.
And continuing to discuss the awfulness of it all is only contributing to the awfulness. I have a lot more fun here when I'm not talking about how little fun I'm having.
Things You Just Collect, Rather Than Collect To Enjoy I can give you a reason why I like other people's prom glasses (heh--I'm down with OPPG) and Belle and Sebastian vinyl. I'm not one of those people with a thousand cds I haven't listened to in years. Let's talk about things that are fun, not things you happen to have a lot of.
Gossip Girls Does the recoiling-in-horror from the new wave of trashy YA series remind anyone else of the recoiling-in-horror from gangsta rap in the 90s?
The Oscars Are Unfair Of course the Oscars don't always go to the most deserving person/movie/whatever. There's all kinds of stupid politics, plus the ridiculousness of judging "Best Picture". Let's save our vitriol for Hilary Swank's lipsgloss and John Williams' work, shall we?
MySpace is Evil When I was 13, some guy in his 20s started spreading these stories about the 2 of us, based on small talk we made while waiting for the bus.
Should "children" be protected from waiting for the bus as well?
Plenty of libraries put pictures of their teen volunteers or advisory groups or whatever online. What's to stop creeps from using ANY internet site with pictures of minors from harrassing said minors?
Shouldn't we just be teaching kids to protect themselves?
Some Things You Don't Have To Say To Me, Since I Assume Them About Anyone I'm Talking To
- Yes, you can find some really good things at thrift stores.
- Gay people aren't icky.
- Making things is fun.
- Really, I like to hypocritically assume that anyone I talk to shares my values, as a nice, adult, passive-aggressive way of counteracting the aforementioned jovial prejudice.
Some Conversation Topics I Never Get Sick Of
- Simpsons/The State/Princess Bride references
- dinosaurs
- other nerdy science crap
- the Baby-Sitters Club
- goofy non sequitors
- who's had the worse job
- who's had the worse roommate
- food
- art
- film noir
- immature jokes that are no longer funny
- yarn
- candy (except right now, when I'm literally kind of sick b/c I ate too many Cadbury minieggs on an empty stomach)
- cheap plastic toys
- plush things that shouldn't be plush (really, I just like talking about Tree)
- public transportation
2 comments:
I heart cadbury minieggs. Mmmmm, you are so my food soulmate.
maybe we should be getting married, then.
Post a Comment