Thursday, September 15, 2005

I'm not as clever as Mark Twain.

September 17, 2005
  • The skin on my right hand is all flaky and weird—heh, I’ve got a red right hand. And now it smells like weird lotion. I just noticed this this morning, and I have no idea where it came from. Going to make knitting even more of an adventure…
  • Old news, I know, but c’mon: “George Bush doesn’t care about black people.” I love a cute, blunt as hell, talented famous boy.
  • Apparently, elementary school kids are being taught about copyright and to add the circle C to their essays, according to some letter-writing chick from Philadelphia.
  • And then they’ll all want a Funzo for Christmas.
  • And, anyway, any Pgh Filmmakers alum has been told that just adding that symbol only goes so far. (thanks, Juan Cantino!)
  • R.Kelly is BMI’s songwriter of the year. I never cease to be amused by this man, from his alleged secret marriage to Aliyah (that no one talks about anymore), to his newest shit, which I admittedly have neither heard nor seen, but that sounds a lot like an R&B version of Matthew Barney’s Cremaster Cycle: overblown and using imagery someone else used to make one point to make the complete opposite point.
  • Anyone willing to hear my entire diatribe on Matthew Barney need only to ask.
  • Damn, that super skinny iPod is sexy.
  • Aw, Matador records. You just don’t hear enough about them anymore.
  • Unless you run with people like me ‘n’ Tiff, of course. We’re still too firmly based in the 1990s, musically, to not still heart Matador.
  • This list item was going to be a 1990s-related Belle & Sebastian quote, but I’m drawing a blank right now, which is kinda crazy for me.
  • I’ve been all about the ampersand lately.
  • ”Target is…implementing a bidding system for album cuts in its advertising circulars.”
  • Target, baby, how can you do this to me? I thought we were tight, what with the $1 skeleton gloves, girl-sized cord blazers, that Hello Kitty dress Shane is wearing for Halloween (yeah, you thought I had forgotten about that, didn’t you?), and the hipster commercials.
  • Aw, I still love you, sweetie. It’s like the folktale about the woman who lets a snake into her house and then gets surprised when it bites her: no matter how cool Target seems, they are a big multinational box store.
  • Interestingly enough, Walmart’s still willing to go into a deal with BET that involves Kanye West. Isn’t their target audience the same group of people that suddenly started hating the Dixie Chicks?
  • Louis XIV + Old Spice = funny as shit. I want a deodorant that smells like greasy hipster.
  • Shit, that was a joke, but, let’s face it, we all know I’d be down.
  • Louis XIV are looking quite pretty in this photo. Too bad they kinda suck.
  • Also, does anyone want to talk about the fact that their single is really only good for dancing to, in a hot smoky alcohol-scented divey space, right before you go home with (most likely) a stranger? Does this say deodorant to ANYONE?
  • Bueller?
  • I guess my problem with all this is that I really don’t buy Louis XIV smelling all that fresh and Old Spice-ish, you know?
  • Perks Of Being a Librarian: your home for discussions of how faux new wave bands smell!
  • I don’t know who Bebe is, but I need someone to cause a distraction so I can steal her coat. It’s pictured on page 35, and it matches the purse I’m knitting PERFECTLY.
  • New Echo & the Bunnymen—hee. And a tour!
  • Anyone heard the new Depeche Mode single yet? I’m curious. As long as it doesn’t sound like “People are People”. I fucking hate that song.
  • OK, I’ve finally found it: an unflattering photo of Kanye West. They do, in fact, exist, and where else but in the Billboard charts would I find it? That is, after all, wear they stick all those fake boobalicious pictures of Ms Carey.
  • For just $3,375,000, me and James could live on Mulholland Drive! “Just you, and I, forever…” um, I forget the rest. Cara? Tiff? Little help?
  • Oh my god, Shirley Manson has the same horrible fake smile in pictures I have! Scary.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

i read your blog and laugh every single time. okay, except when i don't understand all the YA references. but i get most of the music ones, of which i'm proud. what i really want to say is, you used the wrong "wear"! *science geek does a little dance after correcting the librarian* where's my makeover?
dammit, you fixed it. i am reading this as you update it apparently. must get back to work.

PoBaL said...

Thanks!
That's why I try to link the important YA things, so I can force more books on more people.

stacey said...

You. Are. Hilarious.

Anonymous said...

You said 'Red right hand' Nick Cave right? Echo and the bunnymen too? That rules.

Shane said...

For the life of me, I will never understand how a machine -- specifically an iPod -- can be sexy.

PoBaL said...

Steve, after the Friday night I had, the fact that you got my Nick Cave sad little reference warms my heart.

Anonymous said...

yeah it reminded me of the Xfiles soundtrack. That was the first time I ever heard of Nick Cave, sad I know. :(

Steve