One of the local teachers has assigned a report on the history of technology in Indiana, or something. To my knowledge, no one has yet to write a book specifically on technological, transportational innovations in Indiana history for the older elementary set. My current theory is that the teacher is writing just such a book and has decided to use his or her students as research assistants.
Caribbean Couple were in last night, their usual time and impatience. I was hoping that since they showed Monday afternoon, that would be their library time for the week. No such luck.
I've been spreading my plot to switch the teenhole and the magazine area to people like my supervisor and the director, both of whom seem to think it's doable. I kind of feel like I have a deadline for making a teenhole that's definitely a separate space and definitely away from the children's area. Mostly, this is because of this one girl. You know the group of regular women who come in for storytimes and plant themselves in the teenhole? A couple of their daughters are only a year or 2 away from being my crew. And the one girl, oh the one reminds me so much of Jessy, pre-giving up on being normal. She's all awkward, with crazy curly hair in an "easy to take care of" cut and glasses, quiet and with a outgoing, adorable younger sister. I can already tell this girl needs a space away from her family, and that's only going to become more of a neccessity as she gets older, but how can she have that space if her mom and co. keep taking it, if it's still so close to her sister's part of the library? So anyway, I want a real teenhole before she hits the angst.
In other teenhole news, I got really bored of constantly wasting tape and craft paper and sticking little "censored" stickers over naughty words (O! to be young again and think writing "fuck" was funny), so I bought a white board. Today, I went over and retied the markers. Then I found the kid who I knew was over there (who I don't like much anyway--rude little thing) and didn't-accuse-him-in-so-many-words, so he told me who was the string-snapping culprit. It was who I suspected, this girl who falls into that category of 12 year olds who are mean because they're unpopular. Yeah, remember them? Those kids don't get so much press anymore, but they still exist. So next time she comes in I may just park myself in the teenhole. Although, she's not all that regular, so I might forget or miss her. Let's face it, it wouldn't be the first time I carried a grudge long after I remembered why.
When I told my mom about that girl, she reminisced about her own upopular girl bully in jr high (well, technically she went to a K-8, but you get the idea). It's weird to think of my mom taking that kind of shit from anybody, but I guess all us short girls had to be bullied before we got loud. Actually, rude little thing was the first YA I've "disciplined" without feeling the blush, so I feel good about that.
I actually wrote this on Thursday.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment