Friday, January 07, 2005

All my black mollies are dying off.

I am getting rid of Buddy.
Yeah, you heard me, I'm tired of feeling like a fuck-up, so I'm buying a car that doesn't need $400 repairs every damn time I turn around, or new tires, or go through gas like a certain Texan ex-governor thinks all us good Americans should, or have the brake failure light come on when I'm 70 miles from home in the dark, or...
I could go on and on.
My new car is a 2004 Alero. It's a 2door coupe, but with the biggest non-station wagon trunk I think I've ever seen. If mobsters had Aleros, there'd be less dead snitches out there. That's how big this thing is. It's also got a cd player (see, now that I've checked out all of the important things on the car, like reversing straight, good brakes, and generally not sucking, I can be girlie about stuff). This is good, because Jackie's got my cassette adapter for her iPod. This is bad because the tape player on my stereo is broken and I think I might have put my last $5 walkman in a "Hey! Free Stuff" box outside my building in Lexington last August. Anyone want a bunch of mediocre mixtapes? I will need to replace some stuff though, like all the Wilco albums I actually like I have on tape (A.M. and Being There, if you're keeping score or buying me a present), and I might actually finally have to break down and buy Different Class. And Staring at the Sea is the perfect driving tape. The cd doesn't even compare. And I'm not just saying that because it's the first tape I bought after I learned to drive, specifically for driving, and all of the fun misadventures Janice and I had in my family's Taurus wagon listening to the Cure summer after freshman year.
Where was I? Oh yeah. The big thing about this car is $$, especially when you factor in insurance (I've switched to Safe Auto, because, even though it's more expensive than Progressive, the Progressive agent was incompetent and their 6-payment plan requires automatic payments direct from your account. Screw that noise.) and those pesky student loan payments I'm going to need to start making soon. So I'm worrying about money right now. It should be fine, if a bit tight--but hey, it's not like I go out or anything, right? I just hate the worrying more than the actual scrimping. And I'm at yellow pill week, which is always a big emotional mess.
Shit! I need to buy pills in a couple months too. 'Cause, you know, there's so much danger I could get pregnant.

No comments: