Sunday, February 04, 2007

I'm a good girl, I am.

From this guy’s blog:
“So, for instance, when I'm spending time with a new person who lacks my zeal for a good martini, has never read Ask The Dust by John Fante, and has never watched Arrested Development or Seinfeld, I'm much more excited than if we had a wealth of already-shared interests. When it's time to go pick out a movie together, I'm reaching for old favorites, not new possibilities, because I can't wait for this New Person to discover this Great Thing. Life has thrown so many Great Things at me already, in my thirty-one years as a lover of New Great Things, and mostly now I just want to re-discover them, via someone else.”
And this, my little loves, is in a nutshell why he dumped me. He could give all the “no chemistry”, “I don’t see serious with you” he wanted in that car on the Saturday night before Valentine’s Day, after we had been together for the several hours he needed to work up the nerve to tell me this. When faced with a boy who gets off on being a teacher, the Cool Girl will always lose to the wide-eyed innocent.
And now I remember all the things I showed him, like how he had never seen The Maltese Falcon before or that my reaction to his discovery of Homicide: Life on the Streets DVDs was, “I used to love that show!” Or that he, like most people, fell in love with Arrested Development through the first season dvds while I, in my hardcore nerdishness, had been watching enthusiastically since the pilot.
And now I remember how excited I was, because we had so many things and interests in common. I felt and still feel like he was the only boy I met in that town who I could have had something serious with. But I was thinking that based on associating with him, not the persona that gets created when you live in a small town for too long and are the only heartbroken boy writer with a good head of hair. He’s a local celebrity, and I’m a girl with less interest in fame, and more in the hair and the fact that we had the same favorite Wilco album (Being There, of course).
And maybe I sound bitter, and like I’m still not over this guy that broke up with me almost a year ago. That’s really not the case. This just isn’t the first time I’ve come face to face with Mr Professor, and I’m so emphatically not a fan.
Just Because I Don’t Like Professor Higgins Types Doesn’t Mean I Can’t Impart Wisdom, Too:
  • Always keep some spare emergency contraceptive around.
  • If you suspect that a broken condom might have scared a boy off, perhaps you should accept the inevitable and move on.
  • Excelling in making out doesn’t necessarily mean a damn thing.

2 comments:

cara said...

My god, that's lame. That may be the lamest excuse I've ever heard.

Anonymous said...

this is the goober you were telling me about as i ate your friend green beans?! i think that whole guru-devotee relationship is too much work.