Tuesday, March 22, 2005

My cats are determined to become a "(Say Anything)" entry

This is the kind of cranky I am today: as I was blowing my nose, not really sure why because I'm at the point where it's just going to be all stuffed up again in the time it takes to throw the tissue away, I blew a bit too hard and could feel my tampon slip a little.
I'm nothing if not ladylike. As evidence of this, I give today's eyeliner. Today's absolutely perfect, symmetrical, no-corrector-pen-neccessary, liquid eyeliner. I am a genius. After work, I shall take my genius self home to eat junk (tampon), drink herbal tea (stuffy nose), and watch some Invader Zim (nerd).
I was really cranky this morning, but that subsided, thankfully, by the time my program started, mostly because I was running around getting stuff together and almost getting killed by stacked chairs. They were stacked way too high and the wrong way round and all came falling down in a column when I tried to grab one. I swore loudly, got out of the way, then swore some more, then unearthed the American flag from underneath and stood it up in front of the now-horizontal stacked chair column, effectively saying, "No, there is no chair mess here. None at all." After the program, I told our maintenance guy and he made the whole mess go away. Yay, maintenance guy!
The program was mostly a success. It was one of those all-you-can-read things, but instead of making it like a marathon (what most libraries do), I did it like a drop-in buffet. Only 2 kids came, but I'm happy b/c they're that group of patron that comes in and looks at stuff but can't check out because of some ancient card/fine problem. So they got to read stuff they might not have and eat snacks and I did very little work this afternoon. Except I did read something I want to booktalk and looked through a manga/anime catalog, so that counts, right? Right? And now I'm working my way through my "wait for paperback" list, trying to find out what's been published in a cheaper version. There are those (mostly other YA librarian geeks) thinking, O! she's following Patrick Jones' advice, with that whole teens-prefer-paperback school of thought, but, really, I'm just a cheap bastard. And still holding out hope that certain books will be republished with less horrible covers. Also, why is Lurlene McDaniel's new series in hardback? And should I spend the hardback $$? I mean, they'll certainly get the wear and tear, but I just can't bring myself to pay $10 for Lurlene. Eh, I'll probably change my mind soon enough.
I also need to get my act together and fill out the "send me to ALA, dammit! Please?" paperwork. If I play my cards right, I could see David Sedaris on my birthday, plus attend the Francesca Lia Block Edwards award luncheon 2 days before. This is all provided I don't turn itno a puddle the second I see Ms. Block.
ooo! I just ordered A Question of Attraction! I'm not even done with it yet, but it's so fabulous. I made Tiff tell me who Brian winds up with last night (Brian the protagonist, not Brian her brother--he winds up with Mariah Carey. Or is it Christina Aquilera?), which I almost never do with books and I never ever tell other people the endings. Oh, the stupid arguments I had with mom and Lara after finishing the 5th Harry Potter.
I pre-ordered a copy of #6 the other night when I was at Borders buying magazines for the sick hermit-ness.
Someone wanna explain the point of hardcover comic books to me, please? The insides are bound just as crappily.

No comments: