Saturday, February 12, 2005

Do you sell walnuts?

Well, here I am on another dead Saturday. I was supposed to go out last night, but I've got this thing against paying a cover for bands downstairs when I know I'll be upstairs the whole night. Turns out I should've probably paid the extra money and deadened my senses with a little gin. Instead, I read for a bit (the first book of Lynne Ewing's new series*) and went to sleep, only to be woken up a couple hours later. Conceivably, this is when I would have been getting home anyway, except drunk enough to not notice that, due to my apartment's flimsy construction and wooden floors, it sounded like my downstairs neighbors were having a party in my closet. A party with a stereo nazi, because it's not bad enough that the Pixies, while awesome, don't exactly lull me to sleep, I also have to only hear the first third of every song. And I think someone downstairs was yelling about an ugly girl, and I was so mostly asleep and neurotic that my first thought was, oh no! they think I'm ugly!
I've actually been waiting for this to happen for some time, ever since I found out I was living above 2 guys still in college. This isn't a "oh you kids" thing, but it's true: when you're in school, you can pretty much do anything any time of day. Responsibility is different. You can even start hammering things at midnight, as my neighbors did last week.
Mostly, I'm not sure what to do. Not only do I want to be Mrs. Mean Old Lady Neighbor, I also understand that sound travels really fucking well in my building. Which is why I've been wondering what exactly they've heard from me. Embarrassing best friend phone conversations? Breakdownish Mom phone conversations? The stupid shit I say to my cats? None of this is what I want virtual strangers to hear. Maybe that's why people become more distant as they become more urbanized: no one wants to run into the neighbor they heard screaming at his kid the night before.

***
Random pop junk:

  • What the hell is up with Point Pleasant? Who said, Let's combine Twin Peaks with the awkward Christianity of Joan of Arcadia and throw in the "satire" of Desperate Housewives and cast it with a bunch of "teenaged" boys, doe-eyed girls, and Housewives rejects, all of whom only serve to make Grant Show's acting abilities seem stellar? And what purpose did it serve to give Show's character a vaguely vintage suit and some broken dreams in the latest episode? Why don't they just let Warren be the evil guy, instead of what seems to be an ineffectual minion? Pure evil has to get out from behind the sign-up booth to turn the thermostat up to cause mayhem? Come on. I'm so perplexed; I must keep watching.
  • Last night, between Pixies' songs and some unrecognizable dance-y stuff I heard the unmistakable sounds of "1979". First, let's take a moment to acknowledge that, despite not having heard this song in at least 6-7 years, I still immediately recognized it. Because, even though "1979" was never a particular favorite (I usually don't like the smash single off '90s albums--if I were rating Weezer, "Buddy Holly" would be at the bottom of the list) the Smashing Pumpkins SPOKE TO ME in high school. But you know what? Not so much after I turned 20 or so. Somehow, "I'm all by myself/as I've always felt" just isn't an amazing lyric to me anymore. It constantly surprises me that there are actually a lot of people my age who non-nostalgically like the Pumpkins, while it never surprises me that they still have 14 year old fans. In the words of Tiffany (the friend, not the mall pop princess), they're so high school deep, that I don't understand anyone over 21 taking Billy Corgan seriously. It's weird.
  • Also along Tiffany-the-friend lines, she's working on a list of her favorite love songs, as an acknowledgement that it's not just another manic Monday coming up.** When you're talking about something like this, it's physically impossible to not start creating your own list. But you know, I'm not so well-versed on the love songs. I'm more a fan of the crush songs. Here's a list of some of my favorites:
  1. "You and Me and the Moon"--Magnetic Fields ("I'm a little bit shy/you're easy on the eye")
  2. "Minneapolis"--that dog.
  3. "Long Island"--that dog.
  4. "1-2 Crush on You"--The Clash
  5. "Customer"--The Replacements
*Looks trashy and fun; mostly just boring. And I want to throttle Tolkein for making runes such a part of hackneyed fantasy. I tried to read Daughters of the Moon (or some such title), Ewing's other series, a couple years ago, when I was trying to quit Fearless' repetition cold turkey, and now I remember what drove me back to Francine Pascal's arms.
**I'm sorry, I really couldn't help that. It just typed itself, I swear.

1 comment:

Darren said...

Damn you!

Now on top of all the other screwing around and blog reading I do at work, I have to add *you* to my list.

Seriously, I'm enjoying this. And I'm not just saying that because I'm from Indiana. Or because the first job I ever had was as a library page.