I've really been missing the public transportation as of late. This commuting-by-car thing is a huge pain in my ass. I like being able to space out while someone else has the responsibility of getting me to work. Mostly, this is coming from the stupid accident I almost got into the other day which, while legally would have been my fault, was actually very little my fault. The UL Expressway, see, does this thing that's like highway...highway...stoplight!, so there's usually quite a bit of sudden stops. Because I listened to my dad like a good girl (usually), I try to not follow to close, so there's less danger. But see, here's the problem with SUVs, trucks, and other vehicles too giant to see around. I'm driving a respectable distance behind some overly large "car", minding my own business, thinking about whose got the better fake British accent, Bob Pollard or Billie Joe Armstong, and about my favorite Philadelphia band, next thing I know, he's swerved into the turn lane (goddam Indiana no turnsignal usin' jerks) and I'm like a car length and a half from a completely stopped car, going about 30. Burnt rubber smells yucky. But at least I know that I could probably drive with a small child in the front seat, since my first impulse was to throw my arm over so all my shit wouldn't fall out of my bag. And a baby's got more junk in it than my deery lou bag, right?
That kind of thinking would be why I'm on the pill.
I went to Denny's Saturday night to meet some new people I forced myself on through Friendster. Pretty darn fun. It's always weird being introduced to a group like that, because it usually feels like people are at their most whatever their place is in the group when a new person shows up. Like if you're the attention-grabber, you're at your grabbiest. Only bad thing was I forgot how it's possible to get a kind-of-hangover from too much coffee and too little sleep.
I go see what the local high school media specialist has put together for his "reader's club" later this afternoon. He's such a ***wad--I feel like it's an uphill battle to get these kids to think that there's more to library services for them, and that that's what I'm around for, if I could just get them to come into the public library. I'm thinking spooky Halloween rings will help. Hey, what problem can't cheap plastic toys handle?
I finally put the zombie barbie teen read week display up. It looks pretty freaking cool, if I do say so myself.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment