Thursday, December 21, 2006

No talking like a grizzled 1890s prospector, consarn it!

My New Year's resolution is to talk like a pickpocket. Good thing there's a lot of reciprocal borrowing agreements in my new neck of the woods.*
One of my nerdier interests is slang and slang dictionaries. Especially old-timey slang--and this is another Simpsons chicken-or-the-egg: do I find old-timey stuff funny and that's why I love those jokes, or do I love those jokes because I've been watching a show written by fans of old-timey jokes since I was 10?
The current obsession with Deadwood isn't hurting either. I've been sorely tempted to keep a notebook next to me while I watch, so I can jot down all the great outdated euphemisms and slang.
I was looking through the reference section at the new library and found Casell's Dictionary of Slang by Jonathon Green, who also has a LibraryThing, which is pretty cool.
I kind of feel like working my way through all of his books tagged with "reference" or "slang" at some point. Teenlit and etymology, that's what I read!

As a middle-of-Chanukkah present, here's some fun outdated slang, from the aforementioned Cassell's:
back-row hopper someone who goes to bars, hoping they'll find someone who will buy them a drink
bacon hole mouth [I think I may have found a replacement in my heart for pie- and/or cake-hole.]
baste someone's coat beat 'em up severely
cross-cove and mollisher a man and woman who work together as thieves
crusty-beau an aging dandy who takes lots of care with his complexion by using cosmetics
dandysette a female dandy
get a spark up strengthen one's spirits with a drink
coffin varnish Prohibition era liquor
pick up a nail get vd
sweetheart and bag-pudding baby momma
snaffle to steal; to arrest; to seduce
Liverpool kiss blow to the mouth or face

I've determined that what I really need isn't a slang dictionary, but a reverse slang dictionary. That way it would be easier to skip past all the hundreds and hundreds of words for penis, vagina, and sex, and concentrate on what I really want, which is archaic euphemisms for getting drunk, thievery, and general debauchery.
What's interesting though, is that I'm not really as much a fan of Cockney rhyming slang. Like, it's interesting, but not nearly as much as slang with more of a history.

*As opposed to the last town, where it was every system for themselves unless you wanted to pay like $50 a year.

No comments: